Easy high protein meal prep alert!
Taking the basic chicken & rice to the next level with this easy meal prep PACKED with flavor. It would also be perfect for a family dinner.
This meal prep is perfect if you’ve got fitness GOALS like me. (I’m currently in another competition prep right now–follow along on Instagram!)
I say this is ratatouille INSPIRED because we’re using herbes de provence–an essential herb blend for any ratatouille–as well as cooking our chicken in tomato & using typical ratatouille veggies for our side.
You can make “normal” rice if you’d like, but this spinach rice has SO much flavor & packs some extra micronutrients you can’t even taste.
The secret is blending the veggies up & adding bay leaves & cardamom pods to the rice.
Macros for 1/5 recipe: 312 calories 31P 2.8F 39C
^add more rice for more carbs if you need!
I’ve been making this recipe two weeks in a row now & I can’t get enough.
It’s PERFECT for my post workout meal–since I want to have a meal high in protein & carbs, but low in fat to shuttle all of that food quickly to my depleted muscles.
I’ve also been adding just a touch of this TRUFFLE HOT SAUCE 😋
I’m not really a hot sauce person–and this one actually isn’t TOO spicy, but I’m addicted to the flavor & it goes really well with this recipe.
It’s basically a bougie hot sauce & is kind of expensive at like $15 so you can skip it.
Ratatouille Inspired Chicken & Rice Meal PrepCourse: Lunch/Dinner, Meal Preps, Prep Essentials, Recipes
20oz + chicken breast
8oz can Hunt’s Tomato Sauce
14.5oz can Diced Tomatoes
2 tbsp Herbes de Provence (spice blend you can find at your grocery!)
1 cup chicken stop OR 1 tbsp Bouillon Chicken Stock Base
30g Frozen Spinach PER cup of dry rice
Dry Rice (amount you make is up to you based on serving size you need!)
2 medium zucchini (~400g)
2 medium yellow squash (~400g)
OPTIONAL: 1 bay leaf, 2-4 whole cardamom pods
- Toss the chicken, tomato sauce, & diced tomatoes into your Instant Pot OR slow cooker
- Add the herbes de provence as well as salt & pepper to taste
- Set your instant pot to 12 minutes on manual (high pressure) OR on high for 1-2 hours with your slow cooker
- Add the frozen spinach to a blender & add enough chicken stock needed to cook your rice (IE if you’re cooking 1 cup of dry rice would need 1.5 cups chicken stock/water) Blend.
- Wash your rice & then add the spinach/stock mixture to the pot. Add your bay leaf & cardamom pods if you’d like some epic extra flavor.
- Now finish cooking the rice according to package instructions. Remove the bay leaf & cardamom before serving!
- Dice your zucchini & squash & saute in a sprayed pan with salt & pepper until the squash is just soft enough to pierce easily with a fork
- Shred the chicken when it’s done cooking & you’re ready to serve!
Let me know if you end up making this recipe, I LOVE getting tags on instagram with pics of your recreations!
Here are some other chicken & easy high protein meal prep recipes you’ll love!
- Salsa Chicken with Poblano & Tomatillo Rice
- Chicken with Sauce Vierge, Saffron Rice, & Asparagus
- Ground Chicken Sweet Potato Skillet
- Mediterranean Chicken Meal Prep
- Truffle Oil & Guac Cream of Rice with Chicken