I’ve been craving simplicity lately–and I know this meal prep doesn’t look “simple” but its just chicken with roasted veggies, farro, & then some tzatziki sauce, feta, & cucumber on top!
You could easily customize this with different veggies & add some hummus on top instead of tzatziki sauce. I just used some store bought tzatziki sauce to save time–the macros are still really good for the store bought kind. You can also use either full fat or fat free feta!
Farro is 100% optional too–but I really recommend it if you haven’t tried it!
Farro is like the slightly chewier cousin to rice. It’s an ancient grain (like quinoa!) that’s packed with fiber & tons of vitamins & micronutrients. It doesn’t have a super strong flavor like quinoa does, it’s pretty mild. Just like rice!
But if you’re skeptical… you could totally sub out the farro for rice, quinoa, or even some roasted red potatoes!
If the carbs for this recipe are “too high” for your current macros, just cut down a bit on the amount of farro you put in. IE 3.5 servings instead of 4 overall.
Don’t put the cucumber/sauce/cheese on until AFTER you’ve reheated this meal prep!
Macros with tzatziki sauce: 386 calories 37.7P | 4.1F | 49.1C
Macros with tzatziki sauce & 16g fat free feta: 406 calories 41.6P | 4.1F | 49.7C
Mediterranean Chicken Meal PrepCourse: Meal Preps, Recipes
1 cup (180g) farro
1 pound+ chicken breast (mine weighed 18oz)
3 bell peppers (~380g)
1 red onion (~120g)
1 small tub of cherry/grape tomatoes (240g)
Oregano, salt, pepper
- For topping
28g Tzatziki sauce per bowl (add AFTER reheating)
I did 30g per bowl (a small handful)
Feta cheese (either fat free or full fat)
- Chicken Marinade
8oz nonfat greek yogurt
3 garlic cloves, minced
30mL lemon juice
30mL balsamic vinegar
Greek seasoning (oregano, salt, pepper) 1-2 tsp total
- Dump all the marinade ingredients into a gallon size ziploc bag, then place the raw chicken in the marinade and let sit in the fridge 1-24 hours
- Cook the farro according to package directions
- Preheat the oven to 450
- Chop the bell peppers & onions & place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Spray with olive oil spray + salt, pepper, & oregano
- Bake the peppers & onions for 20 minutes
- On a separate tray place the cherry/grape tomatoes. You can keep them whole or slice them in half, or a mix of both.
- Spray with olive oil, then salt, then bake them for 10 minutes. (Set a timer for 10 minutes with the peppers, then toss the tomatoes in when the timer goes off & reset the timer for 10 minutes for both of them!)
- Remove the chicken from the marinade & cook on a hot pan. 8-10 minutes total
- Divide everything into 4 containers
- Top with sauce/hummus + feta & cucumber AFTER reheating
- Note: As far as calculating macros when there’s a marinade involved, I factored in about 1/4 of the marinade ingredients into the macros. I weighed the marinade before & after–it lost about half of its weight with the chicken, but then most of the marinade came off the chicken while cooking. I think that 1/4 of the nutrition from the marinade is still an overestimate, but it adds less than 40 calories to the whole recipe!
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag me on Instagram! @emyogi_fit Nothing makes me happier than seeing recreations.
If you ever have a question about a recipe–messaging me on instagram is the fastest way to reach me! I can pretty much guarantee I’ll respond to all messages within 24 hours.