This is my dad’s recipe that I modified! Growing up he’d always make this when the weather turned cold in Texas… or whenever we started to get colds 😂
It reminds me of home!
It’s also jam packed with protein & lots of micronutrients.
I know some of us like to go low carb crazy by avoiding all sorts of bread/real rice, but Don’t omit the wild rice please! Whole grains are OH SO good for you and wild rice in particular has lots of antioxidants and fiber. Plus the entire meal is already low carb at under 40g a serving!
You can also stir in some fresh spinach when it’s all cooked if you’d like to add in a 4th veggie.
Macros for 1/6 recipe (a GIANT bowl) : 281 cals (27.5P/1.8F/38.4C)
I ended up doing eating a 500g serving each time (leftovers galore!!) which put me at 256 calories with 24.5 protein, 1.7 fat, & 33.9 carbs.
Please be aware if you use different amounts of chicken or anything the macros will be different!
For the original recipe my dad always uses a rotisserie chicken as well as ~1 tbsp of olive oil. Not too different!
Chicken & Wild Rice SoupCourse: Lunch/Dinner, Meal Preps, Recipes
1lb+ chicken breast (mine totaled to 17.5oz)
1 cup uncooked wild rice
8 cups chicken stock*
1 small onion, diced (mine weighed 110g)
3 celery stalks, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 15oz bag of frozen cut carrots
1 12 oz bag of frozen cut green beans
4 tsp (24g) Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
1 tsp poultry seasoning
salt & pepper to taste
*you can also just make stock by using the Bouillon chicken base with hot water
- Cook your chicken. I tossed mine in the instant pot for 15 minutes with about a cup of water, a dash of white wine vinegar, & chicken spices to make shredded chicken
- Cook your wild rice. I cooked mine with 1.75 cups of the chicken stock
- Sautee the onion, garlic, & celery for a few minutes
- Instant pot: Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot including the 6 remaining cups of stock, cooked chicken, & cooked wild rice. Cook on high for 10-12 minutes
- Normal Pot: Add everything except the cooked chicken & wild rice, simmer for ~1-2 hours, THEN add the chicken & rice back in & heat through
- TASTE before serving. Add salt & or extra bouillon base if it tastes like its ~missing something~
- If you want to add spinach add it JUST before serving & stir in until wilted. I intended to add it, then forgot until after I’d taken pictures. Oh well 😂