The easiest most delicious and simple meal prep you could EVER MAKE. It’s basically chicken & rice but fancy looking & tasty. It would be great for a family dinner too!
So food blogging 101… take multiple pictures of your food so everyone can drool over it from multiple angles.
I did not do this 😂
I just moved from Houston to Austin & haven’t QUITE gotten fully “set up” in my space.
But I still gotta meal prep & run my business–so here we our with my one beautiful picture of this meal.
The star of this recipe is the rice.
Because Salsa Chicken… you just dump a jar of salsa into your Instant Pot/slow cooker with your chicken breast & let it COOK
But the rice is what packs the flavor punch.
And it’s so simple!
This recipe is so low in fat it makes a perfect post-workout meal too. (You want your post-workout meal to be quick digesting so all the energy goes straight to refueling your depleted muscles!)
Salsa Chicken with Poblano & Tomatillo Rice
1 jar of salsa (your choice)
1-2lbs of Chicken breast
Pico de Gallo (for topping)
- For the Poblano & Tomatillo Rice
1-2 cups of dry white rice (however much you need for the week)
1 cup chicken stock OR 1 tbsp of bouillon (as shown in the video)
1 poblano pepper
1/2 a Yellow Onion
2-3tbsp fresh cilantro
- Place the salsa & chicken breast in your instant pot or slower cooker. I do 13 minutes on my instant pot–if you’re using a slow cooker you’ll need to let it cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 until the chicken shreds easily with a fork. Don’t toss the salsa (let it sit in the fridge with the salsa if you’re prepping it!)
- For the rice: Cut the poblano pepper in half & place in a small pot on the stove along with the tomatillos, half an onion, & chicken stock. Bring to a simmer & let cook, covered, for 5-10 minutes
- Cook your rice according to package instructions
- Place the cooked poblano, onion, tomatillos in a blender OR use an immersion blender with a small amount of the reserved chicken stock (just enough to blend it, too much will dilute it)
Add your fresh cilantro & blend
- Pour as much of this poblano & tomatillo sauce as you’d like into your cooked rice & stir (you don’t have to use it all)
- Serve with the chicken & add fresh pico de gallo as a topping!
- If you struggle to open the jar of salsa… stab the lid (carefully ok?) with a knife to release the pressure. You can see me do this in the video above
- Approximate macros with 5oz cooked chicken & 150g rice: 415 calories 47.4P 2.1F & 46.3C
If you make this recipe I would love to see/hear about it on instagram!
Tag me @emyogi_fit
Here are some other chicken recipes you might like: